Itâ€™s pretty common knowledge that blogging can help your business. But when I talk to small business owners about blogging, I hear the same response. â€œI know I should blog, but I just donâ€™t seem to get around to it.â€ Or, â€œI really donâ€™t know what to say.â€ Many donâ€™t feel confident in their writing skills. And they donâ€™t know exactly why a blog is good for their business.
Blogging on a frequent basis is an inexpensive and fairly easy way to enhance your inbound marketing efforts, drive traffic to your site and attract more prospective customers.
According to a study by Hubspot, 57% of companies who do have a blog report that they have attracted a new customer from their blog. And 81% of businesses say their business blog is useful for their business.
Probably the most important reason to blog is to boost Search Engine Optimization. Search engines like Google love fresh content. By blogging on a regular basis, you give search engines new content to index, which ultimately increases your visibility on search engine results pages. In addition, a blog helps establish you as someone â€œin the knowâ€ in your industry.
So How Do You Write A Blog?
Itâ€™s pretty easy. Talk about what you do and how it solves issues or problems for your clients. You already talk to clients and potential clients about this every day. Just put it on paper. 300-500 words is a good length. Write the whole thing and THEN begin editing or second guessing it.
- Start out by making a list of 4-5 keywords you need to include in your blog. Your web master will be able to tell you the terms people use to search for a company like yours. Sprinkle those phrases in your blog.
- Write a headline that is relevant to your ideal customer. For example: 5 Reasons Why Home Staging Makes Sense or â€œHow Art Can be Used For Impactful Team Building.â€
- Include three reasons why your subject is important to potential clients.
- Use an example or two. Case studies help potential clients see the value of your product or service.
- Incorporate a quote from a client.
- Include a call to action. â€œDo you need help organizing your workspace? The organizational management experts at ABC can help.â€ or â€œAre you ready to turn your backyard into an outdoor living space? Talk to one of our experts as XYZ company today.â€
Sounds pretty easy, right? Now schedule an hour of your time for you to write your first blog within one week. If that deadline comes and goes, give me a call. Iâ€™m happy to help you with your blogging strategy and content.
Holly Bea-Weaver is an advertising copywriter, problem solver and Pollyanna. Sheâ€™s been helping clients connect with their target market in meaningful ways for more than 25 years. You can contact her at email@example.com.